Friday, April 4, 2008

Its Cherry Blossom Season in our Nation's Capital!

The children and I took the metro into DC yesterday. Scotty found us at the metro station closest to his work and joined us. We all walked across the National Mall to the tidal basin and soaked in the beauty. We walked over to the Franklin Delano Roosevelt side and had a picnic lunch (out of the wind!). It was an overcast day and rained all afternoon, but we missed the rain and had a very enjoyable morning. It is a privilege to get to enjoy the Cherry Blossom's each year.

As we were eating lunch we heard the sound of a V22 Osprey and it turned and flew right above us - awesome! We waved just in case it was our dear friend Christy's husband, Dan, flying it! http://thekaiserchronicles.blogspot.com/. We named our daughter Christy after this precious young woman of God. Scotty took this great photo of the Osprey for us. They rest of us were too busy watching it!





The strip of pink is a delightful carpet of cherry blossom petals. The children yearned to walk upon the delicate carpet. Reminded us of a scene out of an Anne of Green Gables book.




Did I mention Seth received a hat and boots for his birthday?



There were several patches of tulips near the Tidal Basin - a National Parks sign called it the Tulip Library. It was a nice stop on our walk back to the metro station. We all love flowers!

We also got to watch a missing man formation fly over Arlington Cemetary on our walk back. The children, amazingly, had never had the privilege of seeing one. We watched one of the fighter jets peel away and fly up into the sky. A privilege and an honor.

The cherry blossoms offer a plethora of photographic possibilities. I think that next year, in addition to our traditional family visit, I will try to get up there myself for a few hours and take photographs to my heart's content. I could visualize so many different shots in my mind yesterday. Beautiful - especially with the view of some of our national monuments.

3 comments:

Romany said...

Very cool photos, Joelyn!

Your blossoma and flowers are a little ahead of ours. We have forecasts for wintery weather again this weekend!

Bob and Claire said...

Those are such great pictures. We didn't make it downtown this year to look. A friend of ours who is also very into photography did, though. I can't wait to see how his pictures turned out! So very pretty, and I loved the tulips too. They are such cheery flowers!

Mike said...

Hey guys -- great to see you the other day. I got to see a V-22 flying around at PAX River last week -- very impressive!

"Blitz!"
Mike